Breastfeeding Support Services
Need support for common breastfeeding questions and concerns? We offer virtual breastfeeding support via phone or video call in 15 and 30 minute increments.
If you live in the metro-Detroit area, we are also available for home visits to address more serious concerns that would benefit from in-person, hands-on support.
What Takes Place at a Postpartum Breastfeeding Consultation?
- Baby's suck is evaluated for strength and range of motion
- Breastfeeding position and latch are assessed
- Baby is weighed before and after the feeding to see how much breastmilk was transferred
- Mom and baby are given a customized Plan of Care
- Mom receives a follow-up phone call/email within 48 hours
- This consultation takes place in the home after hospital or birth center discharge.
Some insurance policies will cover the cost of a lactation consultation; all consultations will include paperwork to file with your insurance company and a report sent to your primary care provider(s).
Some issues that indicate a prenatal/postpartum consultation :
- Baby not latching on or nursing well within 24 hours of birth
- Nipple pain and/or damage
- Engorged breasts
- Sleepy baby that does not feed at least 8 times in 24 hours
- Slow weight gain - infant has not returned to birth weight by 10 days of age
- Plugged ducts or red, painful areas on breast
- Mom feels she doesn’t have enough milk
- Nursing multiples
- Sick and/or hospitalized infants
- Inducing lactation for adopted or intended child
Prenatal Breastfeeding Preparation
Detroit Mama Hub also offers in-home private breastfeeding preparation classes. We will answer your questions/concerns about breastfeeding and help you (and your family) prepare so that you can avoid common pitfalls that hinder breastfeeding success.
For more info or to schedule an appointment, email: firstname.lastname@example.org